International A.S.I. Sommelier Diploma' Certification Exam
For the first time, Association De La Sommellerie Internationale (A.S.I.) will offer the 'International A.S.I. Sommelier Diploma' certification exam in Australia on Monday 27 February 2017, in Melbourne.
The exam will be run by Sommeliers Australia, and offers Sommeliers Australia 'Sommelier' members the opportunity to achieve an internationally recognised standard of sommellerie.
The 'International A.S.I. Sommelier Diploma' certification exam has been created to help:
• Develop the Sommelier profession;
• Enhance the quality of Sommeliers worldwide;
• Establish international standards for Sommeliers.
Applicants must be working Sommeliers (in restaurants, wine bars, wine retail, distribution, etc), with at least 4 years sommelier experience.
The exam is made up of two stages:
Stage 1 - Written exam
Stage 2 - Oral and practical tests Stage 1 – Written exam
(Total time 2.5 hours)
• Blind tasting of 2 wines, with written commentary (20 min)
• Identification of 3 spirits/liquor/fortified and 2 local beverages (10 min)
• Questionnaire focussing on the main wine producing countries; beer, spirits and other beverages; grape varieties; viticulture; winemaking; and other topics related to the sommelier profession (90 min)
• Essay of 400 words on a theme regarding the world of beverages and the art of 'sommellerie' (30 min)Stage 2 - Oral and practical tests
(Each candidate is allocated 19 minutes)
• Selling a beverage: present, demonstrate and justify the choice of a beverage (4 min)
• Decanting and serving: decant and serve a bottle of wine (7 min)
• Food and wine match: taste and explain a food and wine match (7 min)POINTS TO NOTE:
1. Candidates should be aware that A.S.I. follows a classic and logical method of tasting, service, decanting, etc. It is suggested that all applicants visit www.sommellerie-internationale.com/en/technique_proposed/ to review the service methodology used by A.S.I.
2. As a guideline, it is suggested that in terms of knowledge/difficulty this exam sits between the Court of Master Sommeliers Advanced Sommelier Certificate and the Master Sommelier Certificate.
3. A high level of personal presentation is also required by A.S.I. Please ensure that you attend the exam well presented (in uniform if appropriate to your workplace, or in business attire) and bring with you: your ID, black or blue pen(s), notebook, waiters friend, matches/lighter and a service napkin.Examination fee
Each of the 10 selected candidates will need to pay an Examination Fee of A$600 which covers their A.S.I. registration and certification.
Candidates are also responsible for their own travel and associated costs to attend the exam in Melbourne on Monday 27 February.Application requirements
Due to the regulations of the exam, as specified by A.S.I, only 10 places are now available for fully financial 'Sommelier' members of Sommeliers Australia to apply for on a 'first in gets a place' basis.
• Applicants must be current financial 'Sommelier' members of Sommeliers Australia;
• Applicants must be working Sommeliers (in restaurants, wine bars, wine retail, distribution, etc), with at least 4 years sommelier experience;
• Applicants must complete a registration form and submit:
o A current CV (including employment and relevant study);
o Copies of any education or work certificates
o A high resolution, passport-style photograph (for the production of the certification card)
• Registration must be submitted by 5pm, Monday 13 February for applicants to be considered.
• Examination fee payment details must be supplied by 5pm, Monday 13 February.
Download and complete the attached Registration form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
by 5pm, Monday 13 February.
» ASI Registration Form_Jan2017